Saturday, June 13, 2009

Some important disclaimers

First, this is a post about investing. Thus it is reasonable to describe who should and who shouldn't invest. Since even the best investors lose money, money put in the market should be money you can afford to lose. If someone struggles to pay their monthly bills, investing is not a way out of that situation; in fact it will make it worse. Try budgeting, reducing your consumption, finding another job, paying down your debts - these all have far better track records at improving someone's financial condition.

Second, this site is an experiment. Nothing should be viewed as a recommendation to buy or sell this or that. I have investments and they may or may not be what's included in the index. As items are added or deleted from the index, I'll post whether I have any personal position.

Third, the data I use in my calculations are publicly available. Yahoo!, CNBC, Reuters, MSN, Mornigstar, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity are some of the places I go to look at financial statements, price quotes, valuation ratios, analyst estimates, and other information. No secret or insider information and/or data available for a fee.

1 comment: